Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Holidays. Have you ever seen the movie Parenthood? It’s a movie that came out in 1989 staring Steve Martin and a huge cast. There is a scene in the movie that totally describes how I feel right now. I think it was during a dinner scene and the Grandmother had the following dialog:

[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]

Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.
















Life really does feel like a roller coaster right now. My Dad was recently diagnosed with Prostrate cancer. The good news is it sounds like it has been caught early and treatment will begin in a few weeks. My Dad has beat cancer before so I really feel optimistic about him beating again. My Cousin has been in the hospital for the past 14 days with a strange hand infection that multiple doctors have not been able to identify. You see people going through pain and it really makes you appreciate your health. The roller coaster had been going up the last couple of days too. At Christy's most recent doctor appointment she was told that everything looks great with the new baby. Her next big appointment is on 1/12/09. I am 99% sure we will be able to find out the sex of the baby and also look at the chambers of the heart and all that other good stuff. Wed night dinner at church was a little more special this week. After dinner all of the kids & parents built Gingerbread Houses. Here are some pictures.

So keep on enjoying the roller coaster ride it is way more fun than the merry-go-round. Merry Christmas. Love ya
























1 comment:

Reid said...

I love it. Yes life with a toddler is best described as a roller coaster...GREAT analogy!!! All those emotions together, but way more fun than a simple merry go round. We will be praying for your dad, your cousin and of course the big appointment on the 12th! Lots of love. Reid, Kirk and Connor